If your work relates to industrial packaging or the shipping industry, you will be quite familiar with the term dunnage. It refers to the materials that the packaging technicians use in the containers and holds to protect the goods and the packages from contamination, moisture, and mechanical damages. A closer look The regular dunnage includes the
If your work relates to industrial packaging or the shipping industry, you will be quite familiar with the term dunnage. It refers to the materials that the packaging technicians use in the containers and holds to protect the goods and the packages from contamination, moisture, and mechanical damages.
A closer look
The regular dunnage includes the jute coverings, plastic films, rice matting, wooden materials, linen bags, non-woven materials, and more to protect the export pallets. The common types of dunnage are lateral, floor, top, and interlayer dunnage.
The common type
If you consider the general cargo ships, the most common form available is floor dunnage. The material is apt for the protection of moisture-sensitive cargoes like the bales ( for instance, tea and tobacco) or the bagged cargo (for instance, cocoa and coffee) from sweat. The sweat usually forms at the sides of the ship and runs off the ship’s deck. The floor dunnage can lift the cargo off the deck to allow free waterflow without coming in contact with the cargo.
The role of dunnage in export pallets is vital, some of which you can learn from the points below.
- Shifting and chafing of the cargo can cause damage to the products inside. But with the use of dunnage will strictly prohibit any movement of the cargo that can lead to friction and damage.
- The minimum air passage is necessary for the proper ventilation of the products inside. The dunnage does not block the air passages so that the air circulation continues without any hindrance.
- Direct contact with water or air is not feasible for the cargo. The dunnage can effectively prevent the entry of liquids and water in the export pallets and keep the cargo dry and safe.
- Weight distribution is a critical factor that influences the quality of the shipping and contributes to the products and pallets of the damage in case of uneven distribution. Fortunately, the dunnage can aid in better and equal weight distribution for a safe movement of the cargo.
- Void spaces can be dangerous for the cargo. It is a tradition to block off the broken stowage and fill up the prevailing void spaces using the dunnage in the export pallets. The material can come in handy for securing the containers and chock them off.
Removal is a process
The cargo handlers need to be efficient in not only placing the dunnage but also in removing the. During discharge, the handlers will also remove the dunnage following the right procedures. While working on the cargoes, the handlers will separate the dunnage as drafts depending on availability. After completion, the export pallets are ready with the removal of dunnage. The process ensures the minimum handling of dunnage aboard.
But you have to be precisely particular about the dunnage material that you are going to use. The wooden dunnage should always be dry, for the water content should always be between 12 to 15%. But too fresh wooden dunnage that got exposed to precipitation is not apt for immediate use.