If you have been looking to add a granny flat to your backyard, then you have come to the right place. This article will discuss all the things you need to consider when building a granny flat Penrith.
Things to consider when you build a detached or semi-detached
Although building a granny flat in your backyard can be a laborious and stressful process yet it can be a potential long term investment. It can turn your extra spaces into useful club rooms, hobby indulgence place, party room or a playroom for your young children. However, there are few things you need to take into consideration before beginning with your process
- Council Approval for backyard granny flats– Since the release of the affordable Housing State Environment Planning policy in the year 2009 by the New South Wales Government, homeowners who have more than 450 square meters of space in their backyard are permitted to build granny flat Penrith. Nevertheless, you cannot do it unless you get approval from the government. Also, the law differs between the states in Australia and each state has its own rules. So, you have to be beware of the council laws of your state and get its approval before intending to build the granny flat.
- What size can granny flat be? – You might have taken the first step in building the granny flat Penrith by getting council approval but do you know whether your property is the right fit for its construction? This is perhaps an important aspect to consider when you are planning for a granny flat construction. In fact, these factors can turn out a little overwhelming when you don’t consider at the right time. For approval, you must have 450 square meters property with 12 meters wide property needs. The size of your granny flat should not exceed more than 60 square meters of internal space. In addition, it should meet the basic requirements like
- It should have residential zoning either a general, medium, low density or high-density residential zoning.
- When your property has less than 900 square meters then granny flat Penrith should be at least three meters away from the rear boundary, however when it over 900 square meters then it should be five meters away.
- Your budget– Budget is one of the most important aspects that you need to contemplate while building a granny flat. When you don’t have sufficient funds or investment, you can discuss with your financial advisor or banks about the source you can get before you commit to building. Many cheap granny flat builders in Sydney help you build affordable flats. You can even seek the help of those builders to build within your budget.
If you still have questions and want to determine your eligibility criteria research properly and go ahead!