Investment or lost wax casting is an ancient but versatile industrial process. In this method, a duplicate metallic sculpture is cast from an original sculpture. Lost wax casting manufacturers use this process to achieve precision casting and fine surface finish.
What is the process of investment lost wax casting?
In this process, a wax pattern is utilised to create the original pattern of the material that is to be cast. The wax pattern is coated with a ceramic material, which is then hardened and takes the shape of the casting. It is called investment lost wax casting because the wax pattern is melted and drained out of the mould once the mould has been created.
Advantages of investment lost wax casting:
- Precise: The model which is duplicated will reproduce every tiny detail of the original sculpture. Its precision remains unmatched.
- Great design freedom: This process gives lost wax casting manufacturers great freedom to design components with strict dimensions, complex shapes, and materials which are difficult to machine.
- Wide choice of materials: Lost wax casting manufacturers can use the lost-wax casting process on any material that can melt, burn, and evaporate thus leaving behind a mould of the original sculpture. Gold, silver, bronze, brass, and aluminium can be cast using this method.
- Used in a number of industries: Investment casting manufacturers have been using this process in industries to cast jewellery and other fashion accessories for a very long time. Today, investment lost wax casting is used in a number of industries. The parts manufactured by investment casting manufacturers are used in dental fixtures, gears, ratchets, etc. It is also used in aerospace industries to produce intricate shapes for turbine blades. However, its most popularly use lies in the casting of sculptures.
- Time-saving: Lost wax casting manufacturers have found the investment lost wax casting process extremely cost-efficient in the long-run and time-saving as they eliminate the requirement of most other machine operations.
What is pump casting?
Pump casting is a process in which parts of a pump are designed and then cast by different metal alloys or metals in order to provide great strength and corrosion resistance to products because pump parts deal with liquid substances. Pump casting equipment is designed as per the demand of the customer with the use of metal alloys. Manufacturers use different types of metals for producing accurate pump body, for pump impeller casting, and for manufacturing pump cases. Usually, stainless steel is used for pump impeller casting because it is quite resistant to oxidation and corrosive liquid environments
When it comes to pump casting, the main aim of the manufacturers is to provide good quality castings which include pump impeller casting, pump impeller design, water pump impeller, etc. The products manufactured via this method are used in water treatment industries, petrochemical industries, and oil extraction industries.
Investment casting is used in an array of industries ranging from automobile industries to agriculture, textile, aeronautical industries, etc. It is an extremely popular process with massive benefits and is used increasingly in all fields and industries.